Sunday, January 2, 2011

PRESS RELEASE by Kasur Tashi Wangdi

New York,Janaury 2, 2011
Following is the reproduction of Press Release issued by Kasur Tashi Wangdi la

I, Tashi Wangdi have resigned from my post as the Representative of H.H. The Dalai lama in Brussels, Europe on December 17, 2010. I will be contesting in the final elections on Kalon Tripa.
During the last couple of years, individuals and Non-government organizations have continuallyy asked me if i plan to be in the future Kalon Tripa elections, and requested fervently that I do so. I have stated that I have no such plans. Last year, Websites in Norway and Canada have listed my name as a candidate for the 3rd Kalon Tripa and i have withdrawn from them. Non-governmental organizations have similarly written to me to stand for the election. However, I replied both orally and in writting that I have no such plans.
When the Election Commission announced my name with the candidates winning in preminilaries, some concerned citizens in the US, Europe and India have called me and told me that this is not the time to shirk from responsibility and asked me if I would stand for the elections if the voters elected me in the preliminaries. I told them that my decision for not standing in the preliminary elections was because I got disheartened or that I have no desire to serve and for that matter that I am running away from challenges.
I have served the Tibetan government and people for over 40 years and I thought if I would still be of help or not. That was my reason for not standing in the elections. However, the larger public has put great hopes and trust on me and if they vote for me, I cannot disregard their support. Therefore, I agreed to stand if I am on the list of the candidates for the final election.
On November 12, 2010, Election Commission announced the candidates for the final election and I presented my resignation from the Brussels Representatives office to the Kashag. I hope to be participating in media interviews, debates, and conferences in the 3 months until the final election and general public will have chance to know more about my stand on the movement and the administrative policies.
During this time period, I won't be able to travel to Tibetan settlements because of time and financial constraints. But it does not mean I understimate the election process and the electorate. As we all know, Kashag has to implememt the policies and procedures legislated by the Tibetan Parliament according to the charter.
As for me, I have climbed the ladders of administration in serving the Tibetan government and people for the last 40 years and the general public are aware of that. However, youngsters and newcomers from Tibet in the last two decades may not know clearly and that is a reality. As our credentials and to see if I am a viable candidate for the Kalon Tipa position.
Under the leadership of H.H.The Dalai Lama and with the welfare of the 6 million Tibetans in mind, I hope to cement the organizations and disciplines we have established and to sustain and improve them, and to handover them to the new generation in a calm and smooth transition. These would be my commitment for the five years.
December 21, 2010.

No comments: