Friday, January 18, 2008

I am mentally an Indian, says Dalai Lama

Source: Times of India
BANGALORE: Spiritual leader of Tibetans, the Dalai Lama, said on Thursday that having spent many years as a refugee in this country, he has become mentally an Indian.

"I am a homeless person for 50 years," the Dalai Lama said at function organised here to felicitate former Defence Minister George Fernandes, adding, he has been a guest of the Indian government all these years.

The 72-year-old said he had become a refugee at the age of 24. "My best part in life is spent in this country. Major part of my life is spent in this country," he said.

The Dalai Lama said having spent many years in India, his "inner values" and "spirituality" come from this country. "Indian spirituality filled my mind. I am mentally an Indian".

According to him, India could solve many of its problems if Indians had the same zeal and spirit that they showed during the freedom struggle.

No comments: